Thinking about buying or selling a residential property?
This step by step guide by a builder and property developer turned solicitor will help you avoid costly mistakes and ensure a sound investment
I bought my first property in 1986-a mixed commercial/residential in Dublin.
Since then I have bought many more-in and outside Dublin, and I have learned a lot of valuable lessons along the way.
I have also been involved in property development, investment, and direct construction.
That’s why I believe I am the only solicitor in Ireland with a teleporter licence. (A teleporter is like a fork lift, except used on building sites for lifting blocks, bricks, tiles, slates, buckets of mortar, ground levelling, etc.
This book contains the lessons I have learned as an investor, builder, and developer, and combines it with my professional training and experience as a conveyancing solicitor.
You will learn:
- Getting started-finding the right property and how to avoid a bad one
- Where to find your property, and the problem with repossessed properties
- What to be wary of at auction
- How to deal with the auctioneer and negotiate the best price
- The problem with buying with a friend Rent or buy?
- How to use the internet for research and where to find the actual purchase prices of property in Ireland Mortgages, and the new Central Bank regulations in relation to deposits
- The types of mortgage and the difference between a mortgage and charge
- Self build houses and stage payment mortgages-how they work in practice
- The fees to expect in buying your house
- What you need to know about planning issues and your new home
- The critical importance of a structural survey, and why it may save you a fortune
- The problem with pyrite-and how to easily avoid it
- What your surveyor needs to look out for
- Critical questions about planning permission, building regulations, and compliance certificates
- What is conveyancing and what are the stages in a conveyance?
- The 2 types of registration of property ownership in Ireland
- The significance of a “family home” and what is a family home?
- The different types of ownership and why you need to be crystal clear about the difference
- The practical effect of “caveat emptor” when buying a house in Ireland
- Why buying an apartment is different from buying a house
- Why buying a new property is different from second hand property
- The most important thing that you as a buyer must do before signing the contract
- What the vendor’s solicitor does
- What the purchaser’s solicitor does
- The most important thing a purchaser should do before agreeing to buy
- Can a solicitor act for both parties?
- A comprehensive checklist for vendors
- A comprehensive checklist for purchasers
- What is marketable title and why it is so important
- What is the certificate of title system and why it is important for your protection
- Bonus chapter: selling your house, how to generate kerb appeal, and get the best price for your house.
You can buy the book an Amazon.co.uk in paperback or Kindle version.